SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#345430 - 06/06/12 12:18 PM 'Different" type of gig last night ...
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
... About a 3 weeks ago our grandson Michael - age 12 - came to me and said his school band - Michael plays sax - was performing a concert in school and the music teacher asked if any of the kids knew someone who could narrate a short story while the band played ... Michael asked ME if I would do it, and OF COURSE I said ABSOLUTELY!!! ... He got the OK from the teacher and he asked me to keep this our secret, so that our family members would be surprised the night of the concert ... He even suggested that when the time came for my part, I should just say that I was going to the men's room, and then come up to the stage smile ...
Well, of course the secret wasn't TOO well kept, as he was just bursting bounce and had to tell his mom ... smile
Well, last night was the big night, and I recited "The Old Ladies Who Liked Cats" by Carol Greene, and each section of the band played a different 'role' in the story ...
As much as I have played gigs for people of all levels of society - including state governor and Jerry VALE ! - and for as many presentations I had to make in front of audiences of all sizes when I was in the 9 - 5 job, I don't think I've ever been more nervous about a performance ... I guess I was afraid of 'screwing' up in front of my grandson's friends, and except for one slight slip where I almost had cats giving milk instead of cows, redface everything went off perfectly ... even had some parents afterwards ask me if I was a radio or TV announcer grin ...
The best part of the whole experience was, as the music teacher put it, "there is obviously a special relationship, when a 12 year old boy thinks his grandfather is cool enough to do something like this" ...
And I have to say how impressed I was with the music teacher when at rehearsal I witnessed how much she knows about EVERY instrument, and the passion she has for bring the world of music into the student's lives ...

Just wanted to share something that I felt was very special moment ... thanks ...

Edited by tony mads usa (06/06/12 12:19 PM)

#345436 - 06/06/12 01:13 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
You ARE a cool grandfather! Lots of respect for doing a simple little thing that was so right. you'll ALL remember and cherish that moment for a long time!

How'd you like to adopt ME? I'm little Russy...only 66 1/2 years old!

You "done" good!!

R

#345437 - 06/06/12 01:16 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Tony Hughes Offline

Your a nice guy Tony, hell it must have been good that, nice story that. clap clap clap

My Granddaughter school is 100 years old in July and I am playing T4 Wurlitzer oldies, the Wurlitzer was made just after the school was built, WISH ME LUCK AS YOU WAVE ME GOODBYE

Regards

Tony Hughes
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345438 - 06/06/12 01:23 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Tony Hughes Offline

Yep me too Russ I would like a granddad with lots of lovely money too, buy me things,expensive things
Tyros 4/Pair SR 350/ PC with a i8 intel chip, XENYX 802, Ford Focus 2 litre/Tascam DR07/Brother printer/Designjet 500/ our Doris/5 Grandchildren/ white boxers short Kymart shipped over and Typhoo Tea Earl Grey

#345440 - 06/06/12 01:46 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: tony mads usa]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
BRAVO old friend!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#345444 - 06/06/12 01:58 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tony Hughes Offline

Gary,

You will do, wall to wall gigs and a big boat, OK grandad Gary, I tell you where to send the money, PM.heeeeee rotf2

I'll bet you have money you haven't even counted yet

#345449 - 06/06/12 02:26 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: captain Russ]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Tony that has to one of the most heartwarming stories I have read; it covers love in many areas. You really must feel sooooooo good inside. Money cannot buy the feeling of pride and joy you received,

Great Tony, John C.

PS, My family moved into a new neighborhood -- I was new in my surroundings and new in school. I was 11 years old and uncomfortable with my new surroundings; making friends was not easy. My Dad was invited to play piano for a special event in my school. He studied piano in Europe and was offered a job playing on the radio; that was before TV. He agreed to play. After that day I became a celebrity both with my new friend and the school teachers. Cheers for you Tony.
John C.

#345455 - 06/06/12 04:31 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Thank you all for your heartfelt comments ...
Knowing the members of this forum as I THINK I do, I felt the story would be well accepted ...
As for the experience, you are all correct ... it is something that will last forever ...
Two instances will remain foremost in my mind: the look on Michael's face when I said I would be honored to do it, and the look on his face the first day I walked into the band room for rehearsal ... PRICELESS

I am sure that those of you who are grandparents have had or will have similar experiences ... dance
God Bless

PS: My name was included in the program and it noted that I am Michael's grandfather ... my brother-in-law said "first you were known as your FATHER'S son ... then you were known as your SON'S father ... now you will be known as your GRANDSON'S grandfather ... you never have your own identity" ... grin
I am blessed to be remembered as ANY of those titles ...

#345460 - 06/06/12 04:47 PM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
You ARE a cool grandfather! Lots of respect for doing a simple little thing that was so right. you'll ALL remember and cherish that moment for a long time!

How'd you like to adopt ME? I'm little Russy...only 66 1/2 years old!

You "done" good!!

R

How 'bout YOU adopt me and my whole family? ... you got more money!!! rotfl

#345490 - 06/07/12 07:15 AM Re: 'Different" type of gig last night ... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Tony, '

Great job and quite the story, excellent.

By the way I have another lead for you, I believe PRO-FM is looking for a "jock" on the 9 to noon shift, your voice could come in handy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online